Old 05-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Andy

Default Plants That Worked This Year.

Just thought I'd post my top plants for this year. Different people will
have different
criteria, mine are ease of care, length of flowering and appearance.

Going on that basis my best plants a-
Erysimum 'Bowles Mauve' ( sort of a perennial Wallflower ); slightly untidy
but has flowered continously
since April.
Brachycome 'Blue Mist'; zero maintenance, ferny foliage, pretty daisy-like
flowers from june to the frosts.

Impatiens (various) : zero maintenance, flowers July to frosts, can take a
bit of shade.

Hollyhocks ; included despite their tendency to suffer from rust and insect
damaged leaves, because
they are still flowering now ( alright, one or two are, just about, after
starting in July ), and they are so
gorgeous. Am bringing on some rust-resistant ( allegedly ) varieties for
next year.

Convolvulus Sabatius ( Mauritian Convolvulus ) : trailing powder-blue
convolvulus flowers all summer
into autumn. Zero maintenance.

Alyssum : ubiquitous but a good gap filler and prepared to flower 'til the
frosts if given a haircut.

Dascia : same as Alyssum.

Morning Glory : took a while to get started but beautiful now. Pity they are
only out in the a.m.

Yarrow ( Cloth of Gold ) : Rather a bright yellow but lasts longer than the
millefoil type yarrows which fade
quite badly in the sunlight - they all end up looking a dirty white whatever
colour they started. July to
September. Not a stunning display but very useful, and ferny foliage.

Pacific Delphiniums; impressive while they're out, though difficult to grow
well. Have had them in flower
through the summer, still coming out now.

Trailing Lobelia : didn't get on with the upright stuff. Blue seems to keep
going longer than the other colours.
Blooms from July into autumn, no maintenance.

Cosmos : first time I've grown these annuals, but seem to keep flowering.
Very pretty flowers, will plant
more next year to see what a drift looks like.

Large Flowered Penstemons : will come back and flower again. Foxglove like
flowers, very cottage garden.
One drawback is a tendency to flop.

Dianthus Crimsonia Superbus : cautious mention, first time I've grown it and
the plants really are a bit immature
but seem to keep flowering and have interesting ragged crimson petals.

By the way, as far as I can see, if the insects had a vote, they'd go for
Goldenrod - mine are like Insectopolis
at the moment, but they don't flower long enough IMO.

Any comments/additions?

Andy.