Old 06-09-2005, 05:02 AM
Peter Jason

Buy a sheep!

"Betsy" wrote in message
My lawnmower has been on the fritz all summer. It started cutting out
when it was running. I took it to the local neighborhood guy (he has a
landscaping business & fixes mowers on the side) and he "tuned it up" and
etc. and it ran fine. For awhile.

Then the pull rope broke. I replaced it. It ran fine.

Then a couple weeks later it became difficult to start. As in 15-20 pulls
and a shoulder almost out of joint trying. And when it was turned off it
wouldn't start again.

I took it back. He said it was the starter, and replaced it. Cost $80
for that and a wheel lock which was broken.

I took it home. I couldn't start it. I took it back. He said it was
fine--he could start it on the third pull. Sometimes the first.

Meantime I'd borrowed my neighbor's mower which was indeed possible for me
to start on the first pull. In fact, I often didn't even have to pull the
rope out all the way.

I still can't start mine and am at my wits end. I think he doesn't know
how to fix it, and doesn't see the problem. He says "its old" and like
old things & people is now more difficult to start. I can't agree.

Oh, and by the way, he let me try to start his lawn mower. I had no
trouble. The rope gives a lot of resistance, but you can feel it engaging
the motor. I don't get that kind of feedback from mine.

Yet he insists there is nothing wrong with mine.

Does anybody have any ideas before I take it to another repair shop and
have to pay another $80? I am pretty strong, but unwilling to destroy my
arm yanking on this crank.