Old 06-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Paul D.Smith" writes:

| Thanks for the tips. I'm just north of London and slug damage is a big
| factor in my garden. I've tried growing them in pots and they germinate
| fine but then never really grow well. Do you keep them in lots of light, in
| shade, any particular potting compost etc?

Lots of light. They don't grow well in our dim and cold summers,
and aren't keen on drought when growing, either :-( There is
little point in planting them out before June, or perhaps mid-May
in the hottest parts of the country.

| This year I have 3 which have survived and flowered but that's a very good
| year for me. It's irritating because other people complain about what a
| "weed" they can be ;-). My in-laws line in Minneapolis (US mid-west) and
| Morning Glories grow there like bindweed does over here so they're always
| amused with my failure to get good plants!

Yeah, well. What do you expect from people who live in the deep
south?

Seriously. We are too far north and do not have warm enough
summers to grow even such easy tropical weeds successfully.
I have exactly the same experience as you - last year, I got
a lot to grow, but they didn't start to flower properly until
August. This year has been too bloody cold.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.