Old 06-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Lots of light. They don't grow well in our dim and cold summers,
and aren't keen on drought when growing, either :-( There is
little point in planting them out before June, or perhaps mid-May
in the hottest parts of the country.
do not have warm enough
summers to grow even such easy tropical weeds successfully.
I have exactly the same experience as you - last year, I got
a lot to grow, but they didn't start to flower properly until
August. This year has been too bloody cold.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick I would have said the same as mine are quite small flowers but they
do climb about 20 foot up the front of my house in the summer. They
suffer incredibly with spider mite and most types have a lot of small
flowers though the ones I am discouraging this year, having untangled
them from the double crimson ones, was a blue streaked white one, very
wishy washy and looked like bindweed anyway
However yesterday I went to Rosemary Browns garden near Aylesbury (she
opens to the public but is more interested in cuttings and seeds than
the actual garden design) She has several Ipmoeas in smallish pots which
have HUGE flowers of intense blue, (not the dark blue) and they have
loads of flowers.
She grows lots of plants and has her front garden filled with row upon
row of stuff that people "in the know" come to buy but her secret seems
to be just REGULAR watering, multipurpose compost and a REGULAR feeding
of water soluble feed such a Phostregen.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph