Old 06-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Kay

In article , Paul
D.Smith writes
Thanks for the tips. I'm just north of London and slug damage is a big
factor in my garden.

I have the same, and don't control them (don't want to use pesticides
because of amphibians, and don't fancy all the gruesome methods used by
others)

I've tried growing them in pots and they germinate
fine but then never really grow well. Do you keep them in lots of light, in
shade, any particular potting compost etc?

I grow them in pots in the greenhouse (slug free environment) till a
couple of feet tall - after that, they are fine outside and free from
slug damage. They do fine in pots. They seem to like light and lots of
heat to get going (I'm near Leeds so my definition of lots of heat may
vary from yours). Watch out for aphids and red spider when young - it's
worth controlling both since they can take a lot out of the plant.

--
Kay