Old 06-09-2005, 05:12 PM
kathy

Default pond report

Since my adventure in appendix land (an adventure
I do not recommend!) the poor ponds have been
neglected all to heck.

This weekend I did get eldest son out to remove
as much water lettuce and water hyacinth as he
could. Four water lettuce had multiplied into
bazillions, far out growing the water hyacinth
that went in later and didn't get the prime
sunny spots.

The pond is crystal clear to the bottom. But one
koi has some raised scales on his side. ak! First
time ever I've had a fish show any problem like
that. Unfortunately due to my continued wonkiness
there is going to be nothing we can do for him
but hope he gets better or remove him if he
doesn't make it. :-(((

The poor lilies are finally getting to see the sun,
they were grown over with water lettuce.

Remember the island, because I could not keep up
with replacing evaporating water the mini cattails
got all brown. The creeping jenny is going fine.
We'll probably have to lower Atlantis next spring.

Also the dang giant grasses have fallen over into
the pond. argh!!!

Plans are to have son still try and get more of the
floating tropicals out and weed the Frog Bog. DH and
I are making plans for spring cleaning and reducing the
stocking level. We want to make the pond even more self
sustaining though we don't plan on having a month like
this again! Both DH and I had surgery (DH on his knee) even
Rosie the dog had her pedicure that she has to have
knocked out as she will not let anyone trim her nails.

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week's entry - water boatman
Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~