Old 07-09-2005, 12:47 AM
DigitalVinyl

While I think some of that is psuedo-science and from the mindset that
organic-is-ALWAYS-better, like pot is a better drug cause it is
"organic".

You only need to look closely at a natural environment to see what
nature does. Wild Plant life perpetuates a cycle of replenishment.
Animals and especially BUGS particpate and are critical to that cycle.
Including good and bad bugs. The squirrels and birds of the forest
don't consciously rake manure into the forest floor. If I were to boil
it down to the most simplistic I would have to say focus on diversity.
Dvierse sources of renourishment. Diverse plants, Diverse bugs.
COmmercial growers have vast problems cause miles of corn provide
miles of food for corn pests, and nothing for bugs that don't eat
corn. Diversity is totally lacking. Use multiple sources of
fertilizers, not all are chemically the same. Yes nitrogen is
nitrogen, but you don't shake nitrogen onto the dirt, it is bound up
in another molecules. How it breaks down, what is required to release
it, what byproduct are left afterward have an affect. You could read
articles for years and still not know everything. I think, go with the
odds, mix it up. Whenever I see new and different bugs in the back
yard I consider it a success. You need that variety. SOme are bad some
are good. You need both.

BRD wrote:

Hello,

I just joined this site because of a lot of research I've done in
nutrient deficiencies among the 'civilized' areas of the world. What
I've found out, is that the majority of the foods that are grown today
are severely deficient in what a normal healthy human needs. The main
reason behind this is the type of soil being used to grow foods.
Artificial things mostly. The soil is able to grow things BIG and
FAST, but they are lacking the vitamins and minerals we need, because
this soil isn't as good for our food as natural soil is.
The so-called 3rd world countries use no fertlizers that aren't 100%
natural, and no extra additives to the soil that could be absorbed by
the food. These cultures have better overall health, don't have the
same types of diseases that we get, and are thinner, with lower blood
pressure, and live longer. They're thinking this is something as simple
as vitamin/mineral deficiency in the soil that our Farmers use to grow
the food we typically buy at the Supermarkets.
So, what I'm asking you all is where can I look for good natural soil
to grow food in? If testing, what should I be looking for in these
tests? I'm wanting to start to grow hopefully the majority of the food
I eat one day. I live in New Mexico, so good soil is probably hard to
come by.

Any suggestions?

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener