Old 07-09-2005, 12:26 AM
Kay

In article , H Ryder
writes
I think that I need to have a bonfire (3 compost bins currently buried under
huge pile of "woody stuff") but am not sure how to go about it. In
particular - how far from teh house/hedges etc does it need to be?

needs to be a certain distance from public road - 30 ft???? It's an
offence to have it nearer (apart from being dangerous if smoke blows
over road)

For general safety, don't just put everything in a heap and set fire to
it - burn it little by little so you can keep it under control.

Can I do
it on grass (i.e. will it regrow?)

Eventually.
OK on a lawn, but not on longer grass as longer dry grass may catch and
your fire go out of control.

and what will burn - i.e. do I need to
leave all the stuff to dry out first?

Yes, otherwise you will have a smoky fire which is not fair to your
neighbours.

If you are in a smoke-free zone, then you should not have a bonfire at
all.

Have you considered taking it all round to the council recycling centre?
--
Kay