Old 07-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Mike

"newsb" wrote in message
In article , H Ryder
writes
I think that I need to have a bonfire (3 compost bins currently buried

under
huge pile of "woody stuff") but am not sure how to go about it. In
particular - how far from teh house/hedges etc does it need to be? Can I

do
it on grass (i.e. will it regrow?) and what will burn - i.e. do I need to
leave all the stuff to dry out first? TIA,
Hayley

And just to add to the other responses - I think there is (or should be)
an unwritten law that implies that you:
shouldn't start a fire until after 19.00 in the summer if you have
neighbours - you might get away with 18.00 in the autumn/winter;
tell the neighbours in order to ensure they aren't leaving washing
out/entertaining in the garden.

--
regards andyw

There is no law, national that is, about bonfires. Unless there is a local
byelaw, you can have a bonfire just when you like,

BUT,

even without a byelaw or clean air act or call it what you will, you can be
prosecuted under the pollution act, nuisance act and god knows what other
things. If you are bombastic enough to light a smokey bonfire on a Monday
morning with the neighbours washing out one side and a Motorway on the other
with a swirling wind which clobbers the washing one minute and obscures the
Motorway the next, you are a pratt and deserve to clobbered.

I had problems with a neighbour who had about as much consideration for the
neighbours with regards to the bonfires he lit EVERY DAY, yes every day,
that another neighbour complained. "I have checked up, there are no laws on
when you can have bonfires" In this case he was correct, but I dug deeper
and read the riot act to him. What "WE" could do :-))

He stopped :-))

Hope that helps

Mike