Old 07-09-2005, 06:33 PM
iSuspectFoulPlay

I had a lawnmower (a Murray) last 10 years and the next one lasted 2.
They do NOT make them well anymore. Try removing the carb and look for
the clogged needle. You should not have to push the primer bulb more
than 3-5x.

A can of carb cleaner is 2 bucks. Soak it overnight to remove deposits.
Never let the mower come to less than 1/4 tank of gas.

Check your oil level too... many mowers have a low-oil cutout switch
which won't let it start or run if the oil level is too low. But do not
overfill your oil either.

Betsy wrote:
It's not very old--2000. And the lawnmower he owns is 15 years old, and
started easily. There is a lot more initial resistance on the starter rope,
but give it a good pull and it engages the engine.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

"Betsy" wrote in message

Oh, and by the way, he let me try to start his lawn mower. I had no
trouble. The rope gives a lot of resistance, but you can feel it
engaging the motor. I don't get that kind of feedback from mine.

Yet he insists there is nothing wrong with mine.

Does anybody have any ideas before I take it to another repair shop and
have to pay another $80? I am pretty strong, but unwilling to destroy my
arm yanking on this crank.

He said it is old, and he may be right. If you are not getting much
resistance, it could be because there is not enough compression, meaning
it is old, and worn. Add to that an old plug, weak magneto = no start.
could be a few other things also. Just how old is it? What engine?