Old 07-09-2005, 07:05 PM
kathy

Hello John!

Without knowing all the measurements of your
proposed pond but with some experience in
making a wildlife pond, I will give you some hints! ;-)

I built the Frog Bog. It is 10 feet by 10 feet
and 10 inches deep and 800 US gallons.
I filled it with a layer of rocks,
about 2 inches by 2 inches. If I was to do it again
I would not put in the stones.

The reason is that the plants that I put in have grown
all the way across the pond and boy is it hard to pull
them out to keep the pond from filling in!

Mother Nature likes to fill in ponds. Plants will grow in
water that is less than 6 feet deep (sorry for all the US
measurements, hopefully you are better at converting
these than I am!).

So in order to keep my pond from filling in and turning
it selve into a wetland meadow I have to yank out the
plants every fall. A lot of work.

If I was to do it over again... I'd probably make it deeper
in the middle, not down to six feet but at least deep enough
that it would take a lot of time for plants to take hold.
I'd be more careful about what kind of plants I put in.
Cattails are strong and hard to get out of there!

Hope that helps with some of your questions!

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week's entry - water boatman
Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~