Old 07-09-2005, 11:09 PM
sworrall sworrall is offline
Registered User

Location: Flintshire, North Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma Discharge
Hi Des

Its BBA or black brush algae. Shes a tenacious bitch
You have this because either:
A) You are using too much light and no co2.
B) You do not have your co2 high enough.

Generally if you add co2 (30ppm stable for the entire photoperiod) your BBA
will stop growing. You will have to manually remove what is there now, that
won't go away by itself. Good luck.
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

"Desmond Wong" wrote in message
Hi all.

I have spent quite a lot of time on the internet trying to find out, but
cannot work out what type of algae I have...

I have a picture of it he
http://www.deswong.com/images/algae1.jpg

It is black, and starting to grow in all places. I cannot seem to get rid

of
it by less light, so I am looking to find out what type exactly it is so I
can see how to remove it.

If you can assist at all please drop a reply to the newsgroup.

Thanks,

Des.

I had this in my planted tank and have managed to mostly get rid of it now.

Ive introduced about 20 Amanoi shrimps into the tank that spend all day cleaning my hair grass and plants of the algae.

I also found that I was dosing too much fertiliser. I was putting in 5ml of Sera Florena a week to get a decent reading of Fe (iron).

I did a test and didnt put any fert in and found that the algae stopped growing and seemed to be getting shorter on the tufts and dieing back.

Obviously I couldnt not fertilise as the plants would suffer so ive started adding 0.25 - 0.5ml of fert through a syringe once a day when I feed the fish

Ive foudn this has kept the algae down to almost nothing (although its still there) and the plants are happily pearling and growing well.

Hope this helps

Stu