Old 08-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Bob Hobden

crom wrote ...
We bought a few of these plants at a garden centre before the summer.
They've looked fantastic all summer and I was wondering whether we
should dig them up and keep them indoors for the winter or whether
they'll survive in the SW (Avon)?

If I should dig them up, do I need to do anything special to them. I
was intending on wrapping them up in newspaper and keeping them
slightly moist.

We have some planted in the garden that have been there for years, my
neighbours have the same, in fact one house down the road has a front garden
full. Like Dahlias, just ensure they are planted deeper than normal and they
survive OK these days here, even on our totally exposed allotment. A mulch
over the top will help but watch the slugs in spring.
Of course if we have a very bad winter or you live in a frost pocket you may
have problems.
The only thing against is that they start late in the spring so will never
achieve the growth that ones started in a greenhouse do, in fact some of my
tall ones are normally just coming into flower as the first frost hits. :-(

--
Regards
Bob