Old 08-09-2005, 07:04 PM
William Brown

Perhaps you could explain what "responsible for the flood
protection systems..." in your cited authority means, if not the levees.

presley wrote:
AHA - I found it. Below are the listed responsibilities of the Orleans Levee
Board:

"Directs the activities of the Orleans Levee Board responsible for the flood
protection systems, marinas, yacht harbors, the New Orleans Lakefront
Airport, a community center, land and lake front developments and management
of real estate and oil, gas and mineral rights in the Orleans Parish
metropolitan area. "

When a GOP article throws up a smokescreen, they don't expect people to do
research. The implication of the GOP article was that the Levee Board took
money that was supposed to be for building or maintaining levees and wasted
it on stuff like -WHOOPS - marinas, yacht harbors, land and lake front
developments, Airports, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. And guess what the
mandate of the Orleans Levee Board is? To take care of marinas, yacht
harbors, land and lake front developments, etc. To be fair, I suspect that
the Orleans Levee Board has some responsibility as to the repair of damaged
sections of Levee, but for sure the pumps, (since they are used in the
routine flooding that happens in New Orleans during every heavy rainstorm)
and various mechanical aspects of the Levee system. I'm not letting them off
the hook completely. But to pretend that it was all their responsibility is
a crock.
As I suspected, the BUILDER of the levees and where the primary financing
had to come through, was the Army Corps of Engineers - and that financing
was cut in the past 4 years. In 2002 the head of the Army Corps of Engineers
resigned specifically over under-funding of his agency's priorities -
including the New Orleans Levee system.