Old 08-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Cat(h)

Default Summer fruiting raspberries

Earlier this year, I planted a number of fruit bushes in my brand
spanking new garden, including a good number of raspberry canes.
Being the totally naive newbie to fruit bushes, and bearing in mind
that the raspberry canes were quite tiny at the time, it is only now
that they are shooting up in every direction that I invested in the
Hessayon Fruit Expert... which tells me to build these super duper
structures to support the canes... before planting them. Ahem.
Having put the cart before the horse, what about trying to squeeze the
horse in at this stage? I am a dab hand at wigwam making. Would a
sturdy (sturdier than what I do for beans, say) individual bamboo cane
wigwam for each plant to which the new shoots which are to fruit next
year would be tied do the trick? Or do I have to bite the bullet and
build a structure with four-be-two, bells, whistles and taut thick
metal wire? (In the latter case, I will probably have to buy in
expertise...)

Cat(h)
The world swirls...