Old 09-09-2005, 07:04 AM
sherwindu

It is not difficult to do. The hardest part may be removing the blade, which may be
tough if it has not been done in previous seasons. Once the blade is removed, secure
it in a vice or similar clamping tool. I take a good file and hone the edge of
the blade with a smooth stroke, trying to keep a constant angle close to the original angle of the
blade edge.
Once a season should be enough to maintain the blade, unless it has been knicked up a lot with
stones, etc.
Be sure to retighten the bolts to the specified torque, so it doesn't fly off while the mower is
running.
Doing it yourself does save some money, and should be part of your regular proceedure for putting
the
engine away for the winter. I would take the blade to a professional only if it is in such a bad
condition
that sharpening it yourself becomes a big chore. I would also price the cost of a new blade at that
point,
to see if it pays to have someone else do it.

Sherwin D.

Sonia Van Tassel wrote:

Hi,

We have a manual lawn mower. There is a place in town that will sharpen
them but is it better long term to by sharpening tools and figure out
how to do it ourselves? How often does it need to be sharpened
(assuming we mow 2x a month, normal sized lawn).

Sonia Van Tassel