View Single Post
  #10   Report Post  
Old 09-09-2005, 01:17 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2005

All,

Its 2 months since i asked the original questions about my problem lawn and i aerated as suggested, but to little effect at the time as i was still constantly using the lawn.

But now the rainy season(?) has hit the UK i think its time for the "fall" maintenance to begin. I've got a day this week planned to do it and just want to run my "to do list" past you guys.

* Over the weekend i plan to completley aerate the lawn with the hollow tine and fill the holes with sharp sand.
* Use an electric scarifier to give the grass a good going over and get out any dead grass/thatch etc
* Give the lawn a modest mow to pick up as much of the remaining dead stuff the scarifier left behind.
* Rake the lawn to disturb the soil (depending on how much the scarifier has done)
* Spike aerate the lawn with the roller aerater
* Spread new grass seed
* Use a broom to make sure the grass gets into the soil
* Apply a "top mix" at around quarter inch
* Brush in top mix
* Water regular for a couple of weeks if required to allow seed to take.

How does that sound?

I also would like some suggestions on 1) Autumn(Fall) Feeding? and 2) The top mix

1) At what stage would you recommend i apply the Autumn feed? before? after? somewhere in the middle? Weeks after? Also, what should i be looking for in terms of content?

2) Top Mix. I was going to make my own using compost, sharp sand and some riddled soil i've saved through the summer. If this is ok, then great, if not, what should i be looking for?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Cheers

Mick
Sheffield, England.