Old 09-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Baine Carruthers

Steve

It sounds like you might want to shear the entire plant if not dense enough
but that's probably overkill. I have found that Nellie's generally only
require some occasional hand pruning to keep their shape.

--
Baine

"Steve Holzworth" wrote in message

I have a hedge of Nellie Stevens that is starting to get a bit "arm-y"
(it's not growing up excessively, it's throwing out long branches). How
severely and when can I cut it back to promote density instead of long
limbs? The plants are about seven-eight feet tall at this point. It's
been in the ground for a number of years, but this is the first year
that it seems to have bolted in this fashion.