Old 09-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Cat(h)

Phil L wrote:
I've attempted to keep a plant bought from the supermarket but i think they
are trained to die once they leave the store!
I love corriander and want to grow some next year if possible because the
dried stuff is useless, I've read a few snippets in here about it being
notoriously difficult to grow, has anyone successfully managed it and how? -
which variety? obviously it's going to be seasonal, so another question, can
it be frozen as it is for soups/curries etc or does it lose it's flavour
like the dried variety?

Sheltered spot, south facing, so more or less full sun, also got 2
greenhouses :-) Lancs.

TIA

I bought a few small plants from the garden centre and they grew very
well last year in a sunny herb bed (in the Eastern part of the Midlands
of Ireland). I then harvested the seeds and planted them in early
summer, and they didn't germinate - it may well be because it was too
cold.
To my immense chagrin, I haven't been able to grow it this year at all,
because my nearest three or four garden centres did not have any plants
at any stage this summer, and I didn't have time to go scouring garden
centres further afield.
I haven't had problem freezing my coriander dry last year, but that
said, I hardly ever keep what I freeze for very long in the freezer, as
anything that has spent too long in there comes out terrible, and in
any case, I tend to consume a lot of veggies and herbs. The ice cube
method leaves me a little perplexed, because I use handfuls of home
grown herbs at a time in cooking, and the thought of a couple of ice
cubes' worth of herbs makes me feel like I'll end up with flavourless
food :-) But it may be worth pursuing if you are less greedy than me
:-)

Cat(h)
The world swirls...