Old 09-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
oups.com...
Last year, my first of being brave enough to plant roses, I didn't do
anything special to get my roses ready for the winter except stop
deadheading. At hte time I had a Duchesse de Brabrant, Old Blush and
Knock. This year I've added two Buck roses, a Dart's Dash and what I
think of as the yellow Knockout(Carefree Sunshine?). Do I need to
anything special to get these roses ready for winter? Should I cut
them back or just heavily mulch them. I'm in zone 7, central VA.

Thanks.
Beth

The American Rose Society www.ars.org has some
articles on winterizing (and other topics). Click on
articles in the paragraph beginning "There are many
articles..."

Most of the articles refer to regions colder than
yours. One article is written by someone who lives
in Zone 6 and who only winterizes the most tender
plants.

You might not have to do much if anything
depending on how cold it actually gets where you
are and how well the roses are protected (close to
the house, protected from wind by other plants,
etc.). The Buck roses tend to be cold tolerant
anyway, and I think most of the others are also
hardier than a lot of modern roses.

Gail