Old 10-09-2005, 01:23 AM
World Traveler

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
We have an apartment complex (2 stories) right againt our back yard
fence. We've been thinking for some time about putting in Arbor Vitae
to give us some privacy, but have been considering the expense and the
length of time it will take to grow tall enough to give us some measure
of privacy. And, the amount of care involved.
A garden store representative recently recommended bamboo. I've looked
at a few varieties that are very beautiful and have been impressed by
their hardiness, amount of care needed and fast growing ability! But,
I'm concerned that they are a non-native invasive plant that may cause
more problems down the road.
We live in Portland Oregon.
Any suggestions?

1) There are native North American bamboos, if that is your concern
2) You will have to worry about the bamboo spreading outside of your desired
area. Unless you can find a clumping bamboo that will live in your climate,
you'll have to go with a running bamboo, which automatically requires you
put in a barrier to keep it within bounds.

We have clumping bamboo types which shield the north side of our house and
I'm sure were a factor in seeing that we had NO damage during three
hurricanes last year. I've also had some of the running types, but have
gradually moved them either into pots or into controlled areas, to keep them
out of the citrus and other garden areas.

ps -- our clumping bamboos -- Buddha Belly and Giant Timber bamboo, are
tall enough and thick enough after four years so that they would provide you
with both an attractive appearance and a privacy screen from your 2-story
neighbor. Regards --