Old 28-12-2002, 09:42 PM
Warwick Michael Dumas

Default Sawdust

it's me wrote in message ...
emuir wrote:

I'm told that putting green woodchips onto soil has the effect of drawing
out nutrients from the soil as they rot down. Does anybody know if they
same happens if sawdust from seasoned wood is added to soil. Has anybody
tried this to build up moisture retention in dry areas?

I know that I'd never think twice about adding sawdust to my compost
heap. It's just a case of getting a balance - easy enough if you have
a lawn, or a weedy flowerbed, or even a large pond ... if not, maybe
think about growing a composting plant (comfrey or a traditional
'green manure' such as mustard) to put with it.

Why not COMPOST it and then add it to the soil with a little lime?

Kevin

I thought you were not supposed to add lime and fertiliser the same
season/year because of a reaction between the two. Maybe that only
applies to manure.