Old 10-09-2005, 05:19 AM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 21:39:26 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

FWIW, I have a lot of those self-pruning trees, maples. The branches fall
after aging in-situ for a while. Everything I've ever put on them has taken
to it like crazy, and it seems to last years.

As long as you keep an eye on it - backyard prune seems to do
well. We have used fruit trees. My mentor used Cherry. But any
and all mounts eventually disappear. I picked up a plant I have
had for several years, and realized my fingers were touching thru
the roots covering the mount. The tree branch was just 1/2 as
long as it used to be. The sheath of roots covered the location
of the shrinking branch and I had not realized it was shrinking.

We also used the branches they have for bird perches. I have
forgotten the name of the wood. It is popular in CA and is often
suggested. But the only local supply is the pet center's bird
perch supply. This is often smaller than I would like.

I am trying evergreen roots. We had to cut a creeper out it was
not creeping and I kept a couple of the gnarled pieces to get
some interesting wood that was a little larger.

I am using plastic baskets and moss as per Andy for most of the
Bulbo.s. But some of the smaller pieces I mount in little
baskets made of Hardware cloth that I hang sideways on the wall.
Then I fill the basket with Moss and plant in it. Too many 'fern
slabs' disintegrated under my care. Cork can be hard to get the
plants established on - and who likes looking at support wire
while they wait.

SuE