Old 10-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jo wrote:
We would like to start a compost heap in a compost bin but haven't any spare
areas of soil or grass on which to place the composter. Our only possible
area to site the bin is at the bottom of our garden between a shed and some
trellis, but this would mean placing it on patio slabs and not on soil.

Not a big deal. Stand it on bricks, and leave enough space under it
to sluice the effluent away with water and/or a broom when necessary.
Standing it on soil is desirable but not critical.

We thought of taking up a few patio slabs, introducing some soil and placing
the composter directly on that.

You could do that, too.

Has anyone any composting experience or advice they can pass on in relation
to our problem...or indeed any composting success stories!

I don't run that sort of a heap, but the standard recommendation is
Don't Panic! Composting is far more forgiving than most descriptions
make out, so minor variations don't matter, mistakes are rarely serious
and problems can be resolved.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.