Old 10-09-2005, 07:42 PM
shazzbat

wrote in message
oups.com...
My best guess after looking at your picture would be some type of
Kabocha (C. maxima). These cross readily so it could be a mixed breed.
Definitely not a butternut (C. moschata). Buttercups are in the same
group as the kabocha, but usually have a pronounced blossom scar.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/57112/index.html
While winter squash can be picked, when the skin becomes quite hard and
the stem dry and woody, I prefer to leave them on the vine untile the
plant begins to die back.

Thanks everybody, I'm happy to call it a buttercup/Kabocha type. I still
don't know where it came from, according to the seeds we had, it should have
been either a butternut or a spaghetti squash Hasta la pasta. Clearly it
isn't either. Ho Hum.

Steve