Old 10-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Diana Kulaga

What a timely question. We rec'd the following as part of an email from
Motes just yesterday. It will speak for itself. There are typos, but the
gist is there.

Diana

Treasures from the Storm
It's an ill wind that blows no one any good. Katrina while merely a major
nuisance for us in South Florida would have been reckoned sufficient of a
trouble maker had we not watched as she wrought real tragedy in her
denouement. Small blessing have nonetheless flowed to S. Florida orchidists
in the enforced pruning of our trees which will bring cherished light to our
orchids. The prunings themselves are a major resource for the clever
orchidists. The streets of Dade county are now line with a virtually
inexhaustible lode of great orchid mounting material. All that is needed is
the energy to cut and haul the appropriate branches that will supply years
of great orchid mounts. With such an abundant(dare I say windfall?) one can
even be quite picky. The savant orchidist should select his material with an
eye to the best suited and the most appealing. Three species stand out.
First, the golden trumpet(Tabebuia argentea or cariba) whose cork like bark
is ideal for most orchid species was the first to fall and particularly
abundant. Live oak(Quercus virginiana) is also highly favored by epiphytic
orchids in general and dendrobiums in particular. It is, of course, of the
very same genus as cork itself. Next among the commonly fallen and desirable
is button wood(Conocarpus erecta) both green and silver. This is "driftwood"
on the hoof. The roots of this species are the "driftwood" of orchid
culture.

Other species are good but these common storm victim will provide more than
enough of the very best mounts. Look for branches that are forked or twisted
or that have other distinctive turns that will add character to the finished
mounts. Try to imagine the plant situated on the branch. A small chain saw
makes short work of these branches, quickly rendering them into raw works of
art but even a well sharpened double set hand pruning saw will do fine. Now
would be a good time to acquire these tools if needed before they are
inevitable truly needed in the aftermath of a major hurricane. In the
meantime we can count our blessings and the orchid manna falling from
heaven.