Old 10-09-2005, 08:02 PM
nambucca

We thought of taking up a few patio slabs, introducing some soil and

placing
the composter directly on that.
Has anyone any composting experience or advice they can pass on in

relation
to our problem...or indeed any composting success stories!
Thanks,

Jo & John (in Essex)

I always recomend siting a compost bin on slabs or bricks with no air space
underneath .......because vermin just love to get into compost bins

I have 8 bins all solid sided with lift off half fronts all made from
pallets pulled apart and reconstructed
Siting them in the sun is by far the best policy for speedy compost
Worms will find their way in anyway
The mixture of ingredients from grass to shredded prunings is the vital
thing and having 2 small bins rather than one big one so you can turn the
mix to speed it up is also better ........a sprinkling of Sulphate of
Ammonia bewteen layers , horse poo if you can get it , shredded paper and
cardboard plus a few buckets of night water and you will have darn good
compost in a year or less