Old 28-12-2002, 08:05 PM
emuir

Default Sawdust

Thank you so much for all of your responses.

I'm not going to add the sawdust directly to my soil. I don't have a
standard compost heap but I will soak some of the sawdust and add it to my
worm farm. If that is successful I'll keep the remainder for bedding
material for future wormerys beside soft fruit bushes. I'm starting a new
garden on a new plot, I think the developers left with the top soil, so I'm
in a hurry to get things started.

"it's me" wrote in message
emuir wrote:

I'm told that putting green woodchips onto soil has the effect of

drawing
out nutrients from the soil as they rot down. Does anybody know if they
same happens if sawdust from seasoned wood is added to soil. Has

anybody
tried this to build up moisture retention in dry areas?

--
Euan

Why not COMPOST it and then add it to the soil with a little lime?

Kevin