Old 11-09-2005, 08:29 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"LeeBoGene" wrote:

Once one gets started removing construction grunt, sheetrock, shingles, and
metal crud from the garden, what does one use to soften the sand clumps and
hardpack? Bentonite? When one works with a pick axe, it's about time to add
some heavy duty soil softener.

But what? Any mud engineers out there with a clue?
Thanks.

Sand and mulch.
LOTS of mulch!

A truckload of washed quarry sand can make a nice difference.
Do NOT buy sandy loam! I hardens into concrete. I used it as a base
foundation for the concrete slabs for my sheds. It was perfect for that
but I'd never use it in a garden.

Cheers and happy pickaxing! Been there, done that.

Cheers!
--
Om.