Old 11-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Matt Townsend

Gae Xavier wrote:
User Example wrote:

Treedweller wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:12:52 GMT, "Chris" wrote:

Has anyone noticed that the fir trees are dying in Austin? Forgive
me if
I'm wrong on the type of tree (evergreen, pine needles, look "furry"
from a
distance).

What gives with that? They start on a small portion by turning
brown. Soon
it spreads to engulf the entire tree until it's completely brown and
wilted.
It's very sad to see such nice, big trees die.
Chris

I don't know about that but something weird has happened across the
street from my house. Last year, 2 big trees suddenly died in this
one yard. Not sure of the tree type... something like a birch
maybe... I don't know.

This year, the house beside it just had 2 big bradford pear trees
suddenly die. And by suddenly I mean one week they were green and
then a couple weeks later the leaves are brown and falling off.

What would do such a thing? Seems too weird to be just a coincidence.
I looked and didn't see any kind of tree damage to any of them.

Well, how long has it been since we had rain? Every tree I have has been
under considerable stress from the drought.

My fig tree turned yellow and started dropping leaves until I watered it.

I looked out one day and my huge mimosa had dropped all it's fronds on
the yard -- until I watered it.

The peach trees were all wilted until I watered them.

My neighbor lost all the leaves on her cottonwood -- she's out of town
for the summer. A red bud bit the dust also in her yard.

A pine tree down the road has died. No rain and nobody has watered it
all summer long.

Everything I am seeing in my neighborhood is totally due to the drought
we have been in and no one is watering their trees. A live oak and some
cedars can survive it, but even they can get sick in a drought if no one
waters them.

I am lucky in that out of 4 trees, 3 are live oaks and get along fine
without water, and the arizona ash is just off the edge of the septic
field so it gets plenty of water.

Thank the good Lord, it's raining today!

Amen to that

Gae Xavier,
REALTOR, Stanberry & Assocs.
http://www.stanberry.com/