Old 11-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Jim Lewis

Sue Marsh wrote:
I've also noticed that all of my pots, whether layered or not, have most
of the roots at the bottom. After all, roots do grow downwards so that
makes sense. I don't bother layering (the ones that are layered were
givent to me like that). I do however put a layer of pebbles at the
bottom-but that's because I don't use screens on the drainage holes.
When I dig in the yard here, the soils aren't layered and the trees do
just fine .
Susan marsh

Yards and pots are a bit different.

HOWEVER, natural soil is, in fact, layered. The upper
layers are mostly organic, the next layers are mostly
mineral, and the lower layers are _all_ mineral.

As I said earlier, it probably doesn't really matter if you
layer your soil, but it's easier not to. :-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of
nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you (that) the
berries are just about all gone. -- Uncle Dave Macon, musician

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++