Old 11-09-2005, 10:34 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:39:29 +0000, BRD
wrote:
snipped, as is right and polite

No, you misread that part. I didn't say this was about third world
countries, it's about the civilized countries that are deficient.

So, specifically name the third world country that has a higher
life expectancy than any in the first world. And no airy hand
waving, quote recent and reliable sources.

And, you can't, because life expectancy in the first world is
much higher than in third world countries. There are no nutrient
deficiencies in crops grown in this country. You can make a case
for the danger of pesticide residues, and feel free to shriek
hysterically about GMO's; but a plant that is deficient in
nutrients will be stunted, not unhealthy for a person to eat.

There are enough nutrients in the soil for the FOOD to grow, and to
look pretty and healthy, but there aren't enough nutrients to fulfill a
daily value for human consumption.

I'm gobsmacked at the sheer stupidity of this statement. No, one
fruit or one vegetable will not give you all the vitamins and
minerals that a person needs, nor will they supply the calories,
protein, fats, or carbohydrates. But, then, they never would, not
back in the "Good Old Days", and not in third world countries
today. Humans and a lot of non-human primates are omnivores, they
consume a wide variety of fruits, seeds, vegetables, and other
animals, fish, and insects to get all the nutrients and calories
they require. Have you never heard the old saw about a healthy
diet being a colorful one? Vegetarians and vegans thrive on crops
grown in the US, too.

And the reason why there isn't a more recent study to quote, is because
the US Government knew what was going on in the 30's, but chose to keep
it that way. After all, if we're all sick, we're spending money to buy
drugs to get us well.

They don't want us to get well. The sicker we are, the more drugs we
buy, the richer the FDA and drug companies become.

Who's sick? What ailments are you speaking of? I'm as healthy as
a horse, and I don't even come close to growing my own food. My
garden is a hobby, mostly peppers, tomatoes, and herbs.

Please point me to the organization that has tested fruits and
vegetables grown under intensive farming conditions, and that can
supply me nutritional facts about each fruit and vegetable
they've tested, and where each fruit and vegetable is considered
deficient. None of this paranoid "the government is hushing it
up" nonsense, either. There are lots and lots of private
organizations that would love to be able to prove that modern
farming methods are detrimental to our health.

I expect that there are differences in the nutritional values of
organic produce verses non-organic; but they're not significant
enough to effect the health of individuals.

But, I didn't come here to discuss this fun stuff Just looking for
some tips and tricks.

To survive the lobotomy you've clearly had? I don't think there's
much hope for you.

I am a firm believer, btw, in the benefits of organic gardening,
but the kind of stupidity that you're spouting damages the
credibility of those of us who try and promote organic gardening
methods to those around us.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"