Old 12-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Bob Smith

wrote in message
Hi

I have a four foot dry stone (and as long as a terraced house width)
wall backing onto a park. The wall has a two foot trellis attached to
it to raise the height a bit.
My chav neighbour uses the park as a quick exit into the town, and
uses my fence as a hand rail as he hops his bit of the wall. My fence
used to be straight, now it leans my way about 30 degrees.

Can anyone recommend a climbing, *SPIKEY*, attractive plant which will
deter the neighbour from grabbing hold of my fence, and one which will
grow over my back wall and trellis. I was thinking of a white
climbing rose like Rambling Rector. Is this a good choice? I would
like a spikey plant which will grows quite quickly but doesnt end up
looking like a huge gorse hedge!

I am a keen but useless gardener. To cover a wall would i plant one
little plant and then let it spread out over the whole wall, or plant
a series of plants?

How about barbed wire? Will perform the required function immidiately until
the rose matures.

Bob