Old 12-09-2005, 03:36 AM
Roger Snipes

It is very appropriate for us to think about, question and experiment
with alternatives to the many bonsai traditions.
But I think we should be cautious about assuming that our ideas are
superior to those of others. Sometimes a practice is correct, even if the
explanation of it is erroneous.

Jim, I agree that we should be open to question bonsai traditions and
experiment with alternatives. I don't assume that any of my ideas are
superior, and if thats the way my post came across, it isn't what was meant.

Well, there was no water in the copper. Maybe it was a translation error.
We could laugh at the silly explanation for annealing, but the advice, the
procedure, was correct.

Exactly, some things are done for the wrong reasons, but prouduce desireable
results, and some things are done for stated reasons that have no real
effect, but produce no harm. Soil layering may or may not fall into that
category.

Please note that there is no peat moss, leaf mold, bark or other form of
organic material in these mixes. I understand that Boon has clients
throughout the many climate zones of the US using these mixes with great
success.

I am familiar with Boon's soil mix, and know it to be a good mix. I guess I
am wondering if your trees would do just as well with unlayered Boon's mix
as with layered Boon's mix.

but after several years I realize that, somehow (osmosis?) I know something
that I didn't used to. So, my "treatment" has evolved & we could have
endless discussions about whether there is a good basis for whatever I am
doing.

I agree, and that is one of the fun things about bonsai, experimenting with
old and new procedures and discussing the process and results with fellow
enthusiasts.

Regards,
Roger Snipes
Spokane, WA. Zone 5-ish

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++