Old 12-09-2005, 08:33 AM
presley

It is true that lindens sucker from the roots, and/or throw up branches
nearly from the base of the tree. This is not necessarily a problem if you
are diligent about rubbing out the new growth at the base of the tree as
soon as it appears. Obviously, the longer you let it grow, the more
unsightly it becomes and the more possibility of damage to the tree when you
have to prune it. I have a very tall friend who has progressively pruned his
lindens up as they have grown, so that he has room to mow underneath them.
They are gorgeous. But their natural habit is not always as graceful as he
has shaped his to be. The linden's two assets are fairly dense shade, and
two/three weeks of gorgeously scented flowers. Tilia cordata has smaller
leaves and tends to make denser growth and shade. Tilia American has larger
leaves and is naturally a more open tree.
"Tony Pacc" wrote in message
I live in Wisconsin ,Is a Linden tree a desirable tree ,I just had a Norway
maple cut down because of girdling roots,and now my yard looks
naked.Thanks