Old 12-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Spider

wrote in message
Hi

I have a four foot dry stone (and as long as a terraced house width)
wall backing onto a park. The wall has a two foot trellis attached to
it to raise the height a bit.
My chav neighbour uses the park as a quick exit into the town, and
uses my fence as a hand rail as he hops his bit of the wall. My fence
used to be straight, now it leans my way about 30 degrees.

Can anyone recommend a climbing, *SPIKEY*, attractive plant which will
deter the neighbour from grabbing hold of my fence, and one which will
grow over my back wall and trellis. I was thinking of a white
climbing rose like Rambling Rector. Is this a good choice? I would
like a spikey plant which will grows quite quickly but doesnt end up
looking like a huge gorse hedge!

I am a keen but useless gardener. To cover a wall would i plant one
little plant and then let it spread out over the whole wall, or plant
a series of plants?

Thanks for any advice

Hi Richard,

I sympathise with your situation. I have a 120' Pyracantha hedge which does
the trick for me, and may be suitable for you. Mine certainly repels
invaders, but is also much admired by friendlier neighbours.

If you still decide to grow a climbing rose, that's fine, but don't choose
Rambling Rector - it is a *huge* rose. It would be like taking a rocket to
the corner shop when a bus would do. You want a solution, not another
problem. I am very fond of Rosa 'Compassion' which grows to approx. 10'.
Although it is taller than your 6' boundary, it would allow you to dead-head
and prune the rose without dropping below your 6' height requirement. It
is, perhaps, not the prickliest of roses, but I still have to take care when
handling mine. It is a soft peach-pink with a hint of apricot in the newer
blooms.

There is another rose - Rosa sericea pteracantha (sp?) - which is massively
thorny! It is a biggish rose, though. Not sure of the height, but it grows
like razor-wire on steroids. It has white single flowers, but is mainly
grown (indeed, recommended) for its thorns where a burglar deterrent is
sought. Research it, if you fancy it, to discover its height, but don't
take it on unless you have a stout heart and stouter gloves.

Spider