Old 12-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Beckenbach,Joseph R

Funny that this should come up just now. I'm to give a talk on "soils"
for my Gainesville Bonsai Society this weekend. I took this as an
opportunity to do a little experimentation. I built a box about (4" x
4" x 6" high) out of clear plastic, marking the height on the inside for
measuring. The bottom was made out of my standard pot screen (7x7 space
plastic canvas). I figured that if there was a perch, it would be at
the screen and that this would most nearly represent my potting
condition.

As a result, any of the "soil" material which did not go through a
standard window screen, did not perch. Material tested we pea
gravel, perlite (expanded shale, I think), vermiculite (expanded mica?),
baked clay (similar to Turface), shredded pine bark and peat moss
(unscreened, i.e. straight out of the bag). Only the peat moss perched
over the screen, about 1" high.

I then tried the peat moss over both the pea gravel and the perlite (two
different tests). As advertised, the peat moss perched over both but as
the water passed slowly through the peat moss, the pea gravel and
perlite both drained quickly.

Please note that the tests were made with total bottom screening. I
have not yet done the tests with just a partial drain hole in the
bottom. That might make a difference.

My analysis of the tests is that perching can indeed occur in bonsai
pots but the "soil" material would have to be fine enough that capillary
action can take place. If no fines are allowed, no drainage problems
should occur in a properly built pot. However, if a high percentage of
fine material is used in the mix (such as peat moss for azalea mixes)
then a drainage layer might be a positive benefit. In this case, I
think I would use a deeper than normal pot to allow the drainage layer
enough space to be effective and give the roots some breathing space.

It was fun to see "inside" a pot!! Have fun - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a -