Old 12-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Jim Gremel

On Sep 11, 2005, at 7:35 PM, Roger Snipes wrote:

I am familiar with Boon's soil mix, and know it to be a good mix. I
guess I am wondering if your trees would do just as well with
unlayered Boon's mix as with layered Boon's mix.

First, I should clarify that I am only using two layers: a layer of
5/16 lava (perhaps 3/8" deep?) in the bottom, then Boon's mix to fill
the pot. Sometimes I will add smaller soil particles or chopped spagnum
on top if I feel the particular plant needs more protection from being
dried out.

I have not tried to evaluate how the drainage layer affects my trees.
Perhaps Boon has. I have simply adopted it as my standard practice. I
also follow Boon's method of repotting, which is different that
whatever I had seen before. I highly recommend that you take a
repotting workshop with Boon, if you get the opportunity. It isn't that
he has secret methods, just that he knows precisely what steps he wants
done, in what order and to what degree. And the results are wonderful.
I will always have more to learn, but I am now confident that I can
quickly & competently repot my trees (& it only took me 25 years to
learn how!).

Jim

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++