Old 12-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Ed Sisson

I'm sending this to you again to get out onto Newsgroups.

My guess is that you had Bermudagrass or zoysia. They are warm-season
grasses, but can be used successfully in the PA area near the coast. I
have lots of zoysia here in CT, and I like it. It's virtually
maintenance free -- it shades out the weeds and is moderately drought
tolerant. Bermudagrass has even better drought tolerance. On the down
side, they don't grow well in the shade and they turn brown after frost
and don't green up fast in the spring. Both are propagated using plugs
or roots -- I believe starting a lawn with seed is out of the question.
It takes a long time to fill in, but it will eventually crowd out the
existing lawn, and even invade areas where you don't want it. Good luck.