Old 12-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Brian

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
. ..
On 12 Sep 2005 02:03:11 -0400, Ann Burlingham said:

[]
] My understanding is that linden blossom tea is the same lime bloosom
] tea whosescent, along with some madeleines, gave Proust his
] remembrance of things past.
]

I think so. For reasons that are obscure to me the British refer to
the French Tillieul as 'Lime'. I've always called it Linden. 'Lime'
has nothing to do with the citrus. Perhaps a Brit could explain it.

Anyway it makes excellent tea.

] --
] What use was it having all that money if you could never sit still
] or just watch your cattle eating grass?
] - Alexander McCall Smith, _The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency_

That's a good one, too!

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The trees are generally called linden in North America, and lime in Britain.
Both names are derived from the (A branch of the Indo-European family of
languages; members that are spoken currently fall into two major groups:
Scandinavian and West Germanic) Germanic root lind. The modern forms in
English derive from linde or linne in Anglo Saxon and old Norse, and in
Britain the word morphed more recently to the modern British form lime. In
the United States, the modern (A person of German nationality) German name
linden, from the same root, became more common, partly to avoid confusion
with any other uses of the name. Neither the name nor the tree is in any way
related to the citrus fruit called " (The green acidic fruit of any of
various lime trees) lime" (Citrus aurantifolia).
Best Wishes Brian a 'limey'!!

----