Old 12-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Sacha

On 12/9/05 11:21, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...

snip

I rather thought Draven to be the gardening contractor who is wondering
what
he should be charging.

Sacha,
You're dead right.
I have the gardening contract for a Wessex Water site.
I get paid one lump sum for the contract and any work, not covered by the
contract, I can either charge by the hourly rate or a whole sum for the job
in hand.
I am not a gardening professional (in fact I'm a Scientist) but have been
gardening for 25 years.
The previous gardening contractors became more and more lapse in the upkeep
of the site, which is why I was offered the contract.

I recently had to reduce the height of a Laurel hedge, on health and safety
grounds, and opted for £12 per hour. Which, according to your replies, is
about right.
The boss was well pleased.

So nice to be right and how kind of you to tell me so! ;-)
But that's a pretty shiny badge on your professional gardening CV so good
for you. You will be able to up your rates with justification as time wears
on. If you would like to, please do tell us more because this sounds of
interest to others here, don't you think. Have you retired completely from
your earlier and mainstream science career? Is the contract gardening a
retirement venture or a sideline?
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)