Old 13-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Lil' Dave

The grass probably dies from lack of water, not the heat. Or was mowed to
low preventing it from combatting the heat and loss of moisture.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p.../tallfesc.html

"John" wrote in message
Last fall I decided I wanted toi try my hands at putting in a good
lawn. I rototilled my front lawn and subsequently checked and adjusted
the pH. I added a small amount of fertilizer and plantend Scotts Pure
Premium Tall Fescue grass seed. This was in mid-October which is very
pleasant here in Tennessee. In fact we had a week of warm weather and
light rain that combined to have the seedlings popping up within a few
days of planting. The winter came and went and this spring showed me
something that I was really amazed at. My lawn looked like a golf
course ! Short lived though. By mid-June my lawn was invaded with
weeds even though I had used both a pre-emergent in February and a
weed-&-feed in May. We had a week of high-temperatures which ran near
or over 100 every day. I thought that the grass had gone dormant but
evidently it simply died.

To cut this rather long story short, I'm looking for recommendations
for a grass that can handle drought and high-heat without completely
dying. I live about 60 miles south-east of Nashville, Tennessee and
water isn't an issue as there is plenty around here. We have an
underground stream on our property (and I mean real shallow!) as well
as an above-ground stream about 100' down the road. The lawn usually
has a heady dew and in fact I have to keep is mowed somewhat short or
it will not dry out before sundown. Of course it does get cold here as
well and I also have some dense shady areas where I was planning on
putting creeping fescue.

Thanks for your recommendations.

JD
Photography - www.puresilver.org - www.darkroompro.com