Old 13-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 9/12/05 8:09 PM, in article
, "paghat"
wrote:

The better local nurseries are already starting their seasons' end sales
of 30 to 50 percent off perennials & shrubs & whatnot. It's kinda silly
because high summer is a terrible time to plant things, but autumn is a
great time for planting. But I guess most people are stopping their main
gardening chores about now & summer vacations are ending so it's time for
us cheapskates to go scooting around from nursery to nursery.

Ah yes - a great time to go looking. The nursery up the street has 50% off
shrubs. Maybe I'll finally make up my mind on that dark leafed ninebark. LOL

This morning I hit three nearby nursery sales. I got 'Sundown' Echinacea
which is one of those patented plants which cost way, way, way too much
for their first year of introduction, but at half price is only a normal
price. It's the reddest echinacea I've ever seen.

Color me green! I saw it going for $20 for a gallon pot in southern NH.

I got 'Silvery Sunproof'
Lily Turf which is a liriope with dark-dark blue-purple spike-flowers &
variegated leaves, really much nicer than regular lily turf. I got 'Frosty
Morn' stonecrop which has such bright white on its white & green leaves
that it'll be great for breaking up a long patch of mixed green foliages.
I got 'Goldquelle' rudbeckia which is a yellow pompom double-coneflower. I
also got another tatting fern as it's one of my faves but usually too
pricy. A few other things.

In all some pretty good stuff for "left overs" on sale, some of it evne
has autumn blooms so don't have to wait until next year to appreciate
everything.

Happy hunting.
Cheryl