Old 13-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Tiziano

Jim Lewis wrote:

I find it interesting that the students of a major artist are still
taught this method. And many member of my club swear by putting a
drainage layer in pots. Not trying to start any arguements just an
observation.

Bill

Well, it has worked for "hundreds" of years. We know now that water
flows through much easier if there are NO widely different soil layers,
but it probably doesn't make a lot of difference in the long run.
Roots, the actual flow of water through the soil, the actual act of
planting the tree in the pot, and other factors probably mix most of the
layers (except perhaps for the worst one -- the large pebbles in the
bottom) anyway.

moreover small particles tends to be carried
down by watering and clog if the

mix is all the same saze , and roots tends to
run deep on theh pot surface this is why for a
better drainage and aeration and watering is
adviced to have a layer of coarse drainage .. if
roots rot sets in is a real pain in the neck and
when you loose a valuable plant you have
understood how useful it is, for once and for all!
!