Old 13-09-2005, 08:20 AM
Charlie Pridham

In message , bigjon
writes
We visited the Tatton show this year, as always, but found the
selection was mundane, the planting boring and the prices a rip... we
shan't be going again, it's a shame as we remember when it was two
tents and about 30 stands - now it's just another chance to fleece the
public!

I've noticed that at Tatton "everyone" sells Sidalcea 'Elsie Heugh'.
It'd be nice for there to be a bit more variety. OTOH, they seem to be
able to sell it readily; one sees enough people walking around with bags
containing pots of 'Elsie Heugh'.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

We have certainly noticed that more and more small nurseries are selling the
same few varieties. They seem to buy in the plugs and liners. Its something
I really don't understand, for me its the producing the plants which is the
fun bit, selling them is just a necessary process to create space for the
next lot!
It also causes plants to become unavailable; if a nursery has a particular
plant on their list which they like and propagate they tend to discontinue
it if every one starts selling it. but the big wholesalers soon drop lines
and you end up not being able to get hold of perfectly common plants.
Please note I am referring to the small nurseries not those who employ
several people, they have a different set of priorities.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk