View Single Post
  #9   Report Post  
Old 13-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Michael Persiano

Jim: Have you already used it? (I did not see the earlier part of this thread?) If not, I would be certain that this does not seep through wood into live tissue. Experimentation might be the way to go . . . with less than precious material.

The word "penetrating" concerns me.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

-----Original Message-----
To:
Sent: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:01:26 -0700
Subject: [IBC] Lime Sulfur

On Sep 13, 2005, at 5:38 AM, Isom, Jeff ((EM, PTL)) wrote:

Do you happen to have a brand (or product) name for this? I have a
collected Arborvitae that needs it!

Thanks,

Jeff Isom

I bought my epoxy from the manufacturer: Smith & Co. in Richmond, CA, (510) 237-6842.

Their product is called Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer. The label states:

"This extremely effective sealer is used in the treatment of dry rot in wood, the sealing of concrete, and as a consolidant for porous materials.

It can ensure adhesion of a wide variety of varnishes, paints, adhesives and caulkings.

It consists of a tough, flexible epoxy resin system in a solvent blend which dissolves the natural saps, oils and moisture of wood and develops a chemical bond with the wood fibers themselves...

.... Pot life of the regular formula is 8 hours at 72 deg. F, with full chemical cure in 7 days at 72 deg. F.

Pot life of the fast formula is 2 hours at 72 deg. F, with full chemical cure in 2 days at 72 deg. F."

As of 9/13/05, their price for a 2 quart kit is about $39. + tax. The have 2 pint kits & 2 gallon kits as well. It is made in a 2 hour cure version & an 8 hour cure version. Either would be fine for bonsai.

Smith & Co. will ship, but they recommend checking with their distributor at
www.star-distributing.com - Star takes credit cards, has an online store and also has retail outlets in some East Coast cities.

I have seen penetrating epoxy is at Home Depot & I am expect that it is available at boat shops everywhere at boat shops - a Google search for "penetrating epoxy" gave 860 references.

Jim
************************************************** ******************************
++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
************************************************** ******************************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++