Old 13-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Jim Gremel

Well, yes, "penetrating" can be a provocative word...

I have used it, with great concern about what it would do to the live
tissue. The first tree was an apple that had a naturally rotted &
hollowed trunk. Gorgeous base, but the wood was rotted enough that I
could carve it with my fingers. The tree is doing fine, but I gave it
more epoxy a few years later, when it seemed that the rotted wood was
again, or still, porous.

I have also used it on two very precious collected junipers with
excellent results (earlier I said one juniper, but I now remember a
second one).

Perhaps the epoxy would damage live tissue, but just didn't get that
far.

I have soaked dry but unrotted juniper sticks in the epoxy. After
curing, I cut them to find the penetration was minimal. On my junipers,
the epoxy firmed up weak & porous wood that wouldn't have lasted much
longer without it.

As I said earlier in this thread: For me, the question that remains is,
what will these trees be like in 10 - 20 - 50 years? Will they rot out
under all the epoxy (or other wood hardener) & shed the plasticized
wood?

There are uncertainties, but it seems to be my best option for some
trees.
jim
On Sep 13, 2005, at 1:28 PM, wrote:

*
*
Jim:* Have you already used it?* (I did not see the earlier part of
this thread?)* If not, I would be certain that this does not seep
through wood into live tissue.* Experimentation might be the way to go
. . . with less than precious material.
*
The word "penetrating"*concerns me.
*