Old 14-09-2005, 12:21 AM
Brian

"Cereus-validus......." wrote in message
. ..
You are only half right. Several different species in several different
aroid genera are commonly called arum lilies. Some are completely cold

hardy
but some are not. Check it out.

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "grahame" contains these words:

Since I moved my Arum lilly (in a plastic pot) to stand with its feet
in
my pond, a couple of years ago, it has shot up, masses of growth and
loads of flowers. I leave it there over winter. The pond is in a
slightly sheltered spot. We're in North Bucks.

So my advice leave it outside and make sure it has wet feet!

Keith

Do you think this is true of all types of lily in pots?

Not at all. Arum lily is Zantedeschia aethiopica, which isn't in the
lily family. It's just got a misleading name. The root is a rhizome. It
likes boggy wet conditions and is tender in cold areas. Mulching it in
winter is a good idea.

I just overwinter
them under a bench in a rather sheltered spot, and quite a lot die each
year. Maybe I've been keeping them too dry?

Do you mean, lilies that grow from bulbs? Possibly, they got too dry,
or froze too hard; plastic pots don't insulate very well.They are hardy
enough to be planted out in the garden, though not in the boggy wet-feet
locations enjoyed by zantedeschia.

Janet

As Janet says, Z.aethiopica is the only species, of nine, grown in the
UK that can be called reasonably hardy and grown outdoors. There is a var.
of aethiopica 'Crowborough' that is quite tough. It is now quite common and
might be the plant in question, as few others survived '83.
Surprising how long the name 'Calla' has persisted. Possibly easier to say
than zantedeschia!?
Best Wishes Brian.