Old 14-09-2005, 05:53 AM
George Pontis

In article , says...
I need some advice. I have set up a 75 gallon planted aquarium a little
over a month ago now. I do not believe it has cycled yet. My ammonia
reading is .1 while Nitrite and Nitrate remain at 0. My plants are growing
a fuzzy brownish algae on them. I did a water change last night and about
two nights before that. (20%) The stuff accumulates fast. I have proper
compact flourescent lighting also. Two 6700 bulbs and two 5500 bulbs and
they are on a timer for about 13 hrs. a day.

Not that I am an expert in avoiding algae ... but one possible strategy would be
to reduce your lighting until the tank is cycled, as confirmed by a nitrite peak.
You could cut back to fewer hours per day or lower the intensity if you have
individual control. Once the ammonia level is driven to zero it should be safe to
return to full lighting.