Old 14-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Davy wrote:
We have just moved into a house with a large garden in Wiltshire and there
seem to be two trees and shrubs bearing ripe plums.

However, I don't want to be poisoned due to incorrect identification. Does
anybody know of a website that provides identification? Are any plum-like
bushes/trees poisonous?

Effectively not. If you are really paranoid, wait for spring and
use the flowers to check that they are members of the Rosaceae.
Provided that those fruits have plum-like stems and stones, I would
just go ahead.

Don't gorge yourself first time - start with a bite, then a mouthful,
then half a dozen mouthfuls and then what the hell? At a day's
separation. Some of them give some people indigestion.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.